Functions/Purpose of Education
1. All round development of personality: The total development of personality includes the physical, mental, emotional, social and spiritual aspects. Education helps to develop all these aspects to develop personality of a person.
2. Moral Development: Another function of education is to develop moral qualities in the individual and build his character.
3. Preparation for adult life: The child of today is a citizen of tomorrow. the eductaion prepare a child for his future life.
4. Making of good citizen: Good citizenship qualities are senses of responsibility, fellow feeling, cooperation, love, service, sense of duty and qualities of leadership.
5. Adjustment to environment: Adaptation leads to life and maladjustment leads to decay and destruction. education teaches adaptation to environment, life and existence.
6. National Security: Education can give us necessary training and inculcate in us the noble sentiments of patriotism, nationalism and sacrifice.
Read more about functions of education
7. Preservation of Culture and Civilization: It is the function of education to preserve and transmit this cultural heritage from one generation to another generation.
8. Self-sufficiency: Only education can produce such citizen who are active, dynamic, self-sufficient, independent and progressive.
9. Emotional Integration: The feeling of citizen have to be moulded and submilated into desirable feelings of tolerance, co-operation and adjustment.
10. Satisfaction of needs: Every individual human being has his/her physical, emotional, educational and social needs. All these needs can be fulfilled by education.