Women in Space- Question Answer
Women in Space- is a story about Kalpana Chawla, an Indian Astronaut. How she became an astronaut, working with NASA, her journey to space and how she died in an space shuttle acident.
1. Who was the first Indian woman astronaut?
Ans:- Kalpana Chawla was the first Indian woman astronaut.
2. Why was the satellite Kalpana-1 built?
Ans:- The satellite Kalpana-1 was built to study weather forecasts.
3. Where was Kalpana Chawla from?
Ans:- Kalpana Chawla was from Karnel in Haryana.
4. What was Kalpana Chawla’s dream?
Ans:- Flying in space was Kalpana Chawla’s dream.
5. What does NASA do?
Ans:- NASA sends satellites to space.
6. What was the aim of the Columbia Space Shuttle Flight STS-87?
Ans:- The ain of thr Columbia Space Shuttle Flight STS-87 was to study the outer atmosphere of the sun.
7. How did Kalpana Chawla die?
Ans:- Kalpana Chawla died in a space shuttle accident when the space vehicle broke up in flames on its way back to earth.
8. In the lesson, you read about some important dates and numbers. See whether you remember what each number stand for:
1961: Kalpana Chawla was born in 1961 at Karnal in Haryana.
1997: In 1997 Kalpana Chawla joined the Columbia Space Shuttle Flight STS-87.
STS-87: It was to study the outer atmosphere of the sun.
61,000 m.: At a height of 61,000 metres above Texas, All the seven astronauts including
Kalpana Chawla were killed.
9. Let’s learn some grammar:
Read the following sentences about Manas and Mayuri:
(i) Manas said to Mayuri, “Hello, Mayuri! Have you completed the project on women in space?”
(ii) Manas greeted Mayuri and asked her whether she had completed the project on women in space.
The words spoken by person/persons can be reported in two ways: Direct and Indirect.
More question answers
When we quote the exact words spoken by a person, we call it Direct Speech. Note that the exact words spoken by the speaker Mansa are put within inverted commas.
There are some rules for changing Direct Speech to Indirect
• In indirect speech, no inverted commas are used.
• The part used before the inverted commas (for example Manas said to Mayuri) is called the reporting clause. The verb (for example: said) in a reporting clause is called a reporting verb.
• We can also make the speaker’s words as a part of our own sentence. When we do so, the words are in Indirect Speech or Reported Speech. While reporting a speech, we make changes to some of the words in Direct Speech. We also often use the conjunction in Reported Speech.
Here is a sentence in Indirect Speech. Write the sentence in Direct Speech in the space below. Remember to use inverted commas:
Mayuri said that she had read about it on the Internet.
Answer: Mayuri said, “I have read about it on the Internet.”
10. Let’s practise speaking in English. Using the phrase ‘Have you heard’, ask your partner a few questions about space. One is done for you. (you can take help from your text)
Have you heard that ‘Aryabhatta’ was india’s first satellite?
No, I haven’t.
Have you heard that Kaplana-1
was the first indian satellite to study weather conditions.
Yes, I have.
Have you heard that Kalpana
Chawla died in a space shuttle accident
Yes, I have.
Have you heard about NASA?
Yes, it stands for National
Aeronautical And Space Administration.
The box below has certain words used to
ask questions. Find and write them in the space given:
11. Fun with words:
Do you know what is interesting about these words?
If you remove the first letter from each of the given words, you will find a new word. Write the new words in the space craft under each word.
(i) Flight – Light
(ii) Send – End
(iii) Space – Pace
(iv) Craft – Raft
(v) Know – Now
(vi) There – Tere